Manitoba’s Independent Advisor Program Offers Help to Small Landlords With Problem Tenants

by Chris on November 21, 2011

Manitoba’s Rental Board now offers assistance to small, independent landlords trying to resolve disputes with problem tenants. 

The Independent Advisor Office provides staff from Legal Aid Manitoba to help landlords get important information and advice, file claims and get ready for hearings.

The independent advisor program is now available in Winnipeg to both landlords and tenants and can help them fill out forms, file claims for dispute resolution with the Rental Board, file appeals with the Residential Tenancies Commission (RTC), and prepare for hearings held by the branch and the commission.

Independent advisors also can help smaller, independent landlords present their evidence at a hearing if they have difficulty speaking or understanding English, have physical or cognitive (mental or emotional) problems, or are on a limited (low) income.

Landlords can contact the Independent Advisor Office at 985-5233 in Winnipeg; email [email protected], or visit the RTB office in person at 302-254 Edmonton Street in Winnipeg between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. weekdays.

This post is provided by Tenant Verification Service, Inc., helping landlords reduce the risks of renting with fraud prevention tools that include Tenant Screening, Tenant Background Checks, (U.S. and Canada), as well as Criminal Background Checks, and Eviction Reports (U.S. only).

Click Here to Receive Landlord Credit Reports.

Disclaimer: The information provided in this post in not intended to be construed as legal advice, nor should it be considered a substitute for obtaining individual legal counsel or consulting your local, state, federal or provincial tenancy laws.

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

Avrom Charach December 4, 2011 at 7:10 am

Hi Folks,

You may remember me from CFAA conferences. I am the Past Chair and Manitoba Rep.

I like this article on the Landlord Advisor. I want to make one correction and provide one point of information.

Correction – The proper name is the Residential Tenancies Branch, not the Rental Board.

Information – This service was only put in place through the advocacy of the PPMA – the organization representing landlords. We protested that a government which claimed to be balanced would provide more access for a tenant than for a small, unsophisticated, landlord. So these advisors are not available to larger landlords like me but to “mom and pops” operations with one or a few units.

Carolynn marohn June 22, 2014 at 5:16 pm

I am having difficulty contacting a tenant in order to serve the final eviction notice re dog damage. A friendship rental gone bad, hence unreal expectations etc. I will call the tenancies branch tomorrow but they are too busy and take forever to call back. I just don’t know where to go from here?

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: